I mean really, right? I'm on your team, be on my team.
I love Kid President. Okay, who doesn't? I actually had the privilege of sharing his videos with someone for the first time yesterday. There is really nothing else like the joy of bringing Kid President to a new fan. The thing is, this world needs more Kid President.
It's kind of amazing that we, as adults, need a 10-year-old kid to remind us what's really important. You know what adults do? Yell. Yell and argue. Argue and yell. Work. Talk about how tired they are. Talk about how they don't want to go to work. Talk about their weight. Passively aggressively argue about politics on Facebook. Forget about their friends' birthdays. Tell everyone to hurry up. Get an attitude with the check out girl at Kroger. Complain about the water bill and the rising cost of gas.
Shew, boy, that sounds like a thrilling way to live life.
This time of year, summertime, when the living is easy -- or maybe easier since at least you're not outside in -18 degrees driving through 6" of snow to work -- is the time of year when you really realize we're adults ... and we are BORING.
As Kid President says, The world needs you to stop being boring. Yeah, you. Boring is easy. Everybody can be boring.
Remember when you were a kid and it was the first day of summer vacation and it was still light at 9 p.m. and you stayed outside playing flashlight tag till all hours? Or the feeling of cracking open a fresh Nancy Drew mystery from the library curled up in your windowseat. How excited you got when your mom got you a Happy Meal. Or staying up to watch Snick? Going to the movies when the newest Disney animated movie came out and seeing a new princess you could be. Catching fireflies or spotting a turtle in your backyard.
When did our lives become only about doing laundry and being tired? We've heard the phrase "work hard, play hard," but it seems we all got stuck on "work hard." We got stuck on "work hard, then go home and watch TV on your couch till bedtime, then get up and do it all over again."
The thing is, does that make you happy? It does not make me happy. So maybe let's stop talking about the upcoming election ("upcoming") and go blow up a balloon. Who's with me?
Some words of wisdom from our sage, KP:
- But what if there really were two roads? I'd want to be on the one that leads to awesome.
- What if Michael Jordan would have quit? He never would have made Space Jam. And I love Space Jam.
- What will you create to make the world awesome? Nothing if you keep sitting there.
- We can cry about it, or we can dance about it.
- Here's a surprise corn dog I got you because you're my friend.
- Before you say something about the barbecue sauce on someone else's shirt, take a look at the barbecue sauce on your own shirt.
- "I don't know" ... I know a lot of people who need to say that.
- My sports team is not always the best sports team. It takes a big man to say that.
- I disagree with you, but I still like you as a person. Because you are a human being. (Sounds familiar.)
- If you can't think of something nice to say, you're not thinking hard enough.
- A title doesn't make you more important.
- Some days your kite will fly high, some days it will get stuck in a tree.
- There's plenty of reasons to dance, you just gotta look for them.
- The biggest mess up? Not forgiving each other's mess ups.
- Amazing things will happen every day.
- You're made from love to be loved to spread love. Even if hate has a bullhorn, love is louder.