Friday, January 25, 2013
7QTF: All I Know is I Don't Know
1. So I'd like to think I'm a pretty smart girl. I have my own apartment, I run a non-profit, people seem to feel like they can use big words when they talk to me. But this evening I was clicking around on Comcast OnDemand and it asked me if I wanted to watch my show regular or in HD. Now, I obviously know that HD stands for High Definition. But then it occurred to me...
2. What in the crap is high definition really? I mean I get that the picture is sharper blah blah but do I need a special TV for it? Or does everyone's TV have it? Can you just upgrade the TV you have? And do you know what else I honestly don't understand?...
3. The economy. Inflation, raising the national interest rate, the debt ceiling. I seriously just do not get it. Possibly this makes me sound incredibly ignorant, but I'm going to stand up and say I'M A SMART PERSON BUT I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW THE ECONOMY WORKS. Like the value of the dollar changes and things that used to cost $1.23 now cost $4.88? I'm pretty sure Emma Watson doesn't get it either.
4. Along with that I do not understand the stock market. People buy shares and invest their money in things and the Dow Jones Industrial Average goes up and goes down. I truly could not type one full sentence about how this works or makes people money.
5. Mortgage rates. I understand what a mortgage is, but what does 3% fixed over 30 years mean? How much are you really paying for this house? And why is the system set up this way? Why does it take so long to pay for your house? And in related news, what is home equity? ME AND THIS GUY WANT TO KNOW WHY WE JUST CAN'T PAY MONEY FOR THINGS WE BUY?
6. What is an alternator and what does it do? I understand that it's something in your car and it breaks but I have no clue what it looks like, what it controls or why it's important.
7. Companies like Twitter and Facebook and Instagram -- how do they make money? People don't pay to use them, and I'm pretty sure neither Twitter nor Instagram have advertisements on them, so seriously how do they stick around and how are their employees getting paid?
I'm sure you totally think that I am the stupidest person in the world, but I stand by my position that I am not the only smart person in the world who just does not understand how some things work. I think some people are just afraid of looking stupid. And I guess I am too. But no more. I don't understand and I'm not afraid to say it.
Go see Jen to spend time with the less confused.